Friday, June 29, 2007

Rascist Conservatives miss the point.

I imagine it's an intentional "point missing", which makes streiff from Red State even more idiotic. Responding to this comment from Hillary Clinton:

Let me just put this in perspective: If HIV-AIDS were the leading cause of death of white women between the ages of 25 and 34 there would be an outraged, outcry in this country
The stupid, stupid reply was this:
Among white women of that age HIV/AIDS is the #10 cause of death (111). The leading killer is accidents (2,607) followed by cancer (1,382) and suicide (762). I may have slept through it but I haven't heard of an "outraged, outcry" on any of those issues as they pertain to white females aged 25-34.
Surprise! There's no "War on Accidents"! Why does America hate white women so much? Seriously though, "cancer" gets a ton of federal funding, and a lot of attention from private researchers. And if AIDS/HIV deaths were the 4th largest killer of white women (as it is with black women), you can bet it would get tons more attention.

The difference I have with Clinton is that I'm not so sure it's racist. I think it has more to do with the fact that white women make up a much larger percentage of the voting population. While race is surely playing a part, I think politicians are more concerned with numbers, and specifically race.

No comments: